It Is An Act
Believer’s Baptism is the first act of obedience after a person experiences spiritual conversion (Matthew 28:18-20 and Acts 8:12); that is, having been born again of the Holy Spirit (John 3:37) subsequent to making a commitment to Christ.
It Is A Visible Illustration
Paul writes in Romans 6: 3-4: "Don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life".
Baptism illustrates the believers union with Christ in His death, His burial and in His resurrection life.
Who Should be Baptized?
Baptism is only for people who have become indwelt by the Spirit of Christ (Romans 8:9); that is they belong to Christ.
When Should I be Baptized?
The time to be baptized is after you have become a child of God (“Christian”) by receiving Jesus Christ by faith (John 1:12) as Lord and Saviour.
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIATES FOR BELIEVER’S BAPTISM
- Request Form:
Please complete and return to the Welcome Centre no later than September 18, 2013.
Please note forms received after the deadline will not be processed.
- Instructional Classes:
There will be four required instructional classes scheduled for September 22, 29 & October 6, 2013 from 2:00 – 4:00 pm in Founder’s Hall. Please arrive early to ensure the classes begin on time.
As well, someone will contact you for a personal interview prior to the baptism service.
- Baptism Service: November 3, 2013 @ 9:15 & 11:30 am.
Please meet us in the Gymnasium at 8:30 am for those attending the 9:15 am service and 10:45 am for the 11:30 am service for a pre-service and 1:15 pm for the 2:00 pm service for a pre-service briefing.
- Baptism Follow-up Class and Fellowhsip
Sunday, November 24, 2013 from 4:00 – 6:00 pm in Founders Hall. Refreshments will be provided for your friends and relatives to celebrate with you.
Please review carefully the following points which are intended to help you have an enjoyable baptism experience.
- There will be helpers to assist you. Your personal possessions will be safe in the change room; however, we suggest that you do not bring much money or valuables.
- Bring a full change of clothing for the baptism. Gowns will be provided, but candidates will remain fully clothed underneath the gowns. Please bring a towel, a large white handkerchief and a plastic bag. The plastic bag is for your wet clothing.
- After changing, you will be given a name tag, to be pinned to the upper right side of your robe.
- You will be placed in the order in which you will be baptized, your towels will be collected in that order, and you will be led into the sanctuary where a section of seating will be reserved for you.
- You will be called in an assigned order. The pastor will ask a few brief questions about your conversion.
- You will be helped in and out of the baptistery, and will also be handed your towel.
- You will then return to the change room to dry off and change; and can rejoin the service with your family and friends.
Growing the Body of Christ for God’s Global Mission
- Family and friends are allowed to take photos during the baptismal service.